When applying to a four year-old preschool program at DPS, it is crucial that you submit a complete application, which includes the application, proof of birth, proof of address, proof of income, immunization records, and Child’s Statement of Health Status. Submitting a complete application with the required additional documentation will ensure that your application is processed quickly.
For information on the application timeline and process, see Applying to DPS.
Please note: Your child is not guaranteed a four year-old preschool spot at DPS. Spots are awarded during Round 1 via the lottery process and on a first-come, first-served basis during Round 2.
Submit a Complete Application
See below for tips on how to complete your application during Round 1 and Round 2.
Required Additional Documentation
The following documentation is required to complete your child’s application during Round 1 and Round 2:
Proof of Birth
Please bring an original of one of the following to the school:
- Birth certificate
- Baptismal record
- Hospital record — Must include an official signature (nurse, doctor, hospital registrar).
Proof of Address
The proof of address must match the child’s primary address and be in the name of a parent/guardian. Please bring an original of one of the following to the school:
- Current lease
- Mortgage statement — Must be dated within six months of the application date. Please make sure the words “service address” or “property address” are included on the statement.
- Bill (Comcast, Xcel, Denver Water or Directv) — Must be dated within six months of the application date. Please make sure the words “service address” or “property address” are included on this bill.
- Current property tax statement
*** If you are renting or your family lives in a home owned by a different person, the landlord/home owner must submit a letter, along with a copy of the required documentation covered above, confirming that you and your family reside at their address.
Proof of Income (4 year-olds only)
Because Denver Public Schools participates in the Denver Preschool Program (DPP), all 4 year-olds who live in the City and County of Denver may qualify for full or partial tuition assistance. Four year-olds who live outside the City and County of Denver may apply to attend preschool in DPS but will have to pay the full tuition rate. To satisfy DPP’s requirements, the parents of all 4 year-olds must supply proof of income. Please bring one of the following to the school:
- Check stubs– Must be dated within six months of application date and must represent 30 consecutive days of pay.
- Tax return — Must be most recent tax return.
- Employer letter — Must be dated within six months of the application date, be on company letterhead, be signed and dated by employer, include pay rate (how much per hour, day, week, month, or year), and contact information.
- SSI, TANF, or Food Stamps (non-work income) — Must be dated within six months of application date and must be official state documentation.
- Child support – Must be court documents or copy of the Family Registry Statement.
If none of these documents are available, you may provide a DPP Income Affidavit. See the secretary at your school for this form.
Proof of income is not required if:
- Parent chooses to opt out of providing any income documentation and pay the maximum tuition.
- Child is a non-Denver resident.
If you are unable to provide proof of income, please contact the secretary at your desired school or contact Tuition Based Programs for alternatives.
When a parent/guardian obtains a child’s immunization document, the document must be kept in a safe place and retained throughout the child’s school years. The secretary will make a copy and attach it to your application. For more details on Colorado immunization requirements, visit Immunization Information.
Child’s Statement of Health Status for Enrollment
The Child’s Statement of Health Status must be turned in to the school with the application or within 30 days from the start of school. The Child’s Statement of Health Status for Enrollment must be signed by a licensed physician or licensed nurse practitioner who has seen the child in the last 12 months.
If you have an older child (1rst through 12th grade), please visit the School of Choice Office’s web site for more info.
If you have any questions, please call the Application Management Hotline at 720.424.2639, option 2.