With over 80 schools offering ECE programs across the city, Denver Public Schools (DPS) offers a wide variety of high-quality programs that are conveniently located. In addition to offering programs for both 3 and 4 year-olds, DPS offers full- and half-day programs, and traditional as well as Montessori curricula.
The majority of the district’s preschool offerings are for 4 year-olds, or children in their last year before Kindergarten. Children must be 4 years-old on or before October 1 of the year of enrollment.
All programs offer:
• Adult to child ratio of 1:8 or 1:10, depending on the funding source
• Highly trained, certified teachers and paraprofessionals in every classroom
• Colorado Shines rated classrooms
• A safe, nurturing environment
• A curriculum that focuses on play and school-readiness
• Classrooms equipped with state of the art play materials and modern furniture
• Snacks and lunch (depending on full-day or half-day offering)
Full-day programs offer children abundant opportunities for learning, play, and exploration. Children will be expected to develop their cognitive, social and emotional skills and learn by doing. Each child will emerge from the program enthusiastic about learning and ready to enter Kindergarten. Each day provides time for structured play as well as oral language development, thematic instruction (instruction that combines skills like drawing and reading to focus on one theme, like the family), cognitive and social development. Children will be able to work and play in small and large groups, both inside the classroom and outdoors. Children will have a rest period during the afternoon, snacks and a nutritious lunch.